Monday, March 18, 2013

Hospital Blessings

Praying in the hospital has been a real blessing for both Nena and myself.  We have had the privilege of praying with and for many people and God has shown up! We wanted to share a few of the more memorable occurrences:

When I was in Charleston in February, Nena and I felt the Lord directing us to the ICU waiting room.  We had our 'Need Prayer?' sign with us and quietly sat down on one end of the room with it.  Nena and I both noticed a refined older woman nearby and after several minutes, I approached her and asked if she had someone in the ICU. She revealed that her son was there and went on to say that she was a retired nurse! Well, this opened the doors of communication since we had this in common.  Soon we were talking openly and ultimately were allowed to pray for her and her son. What a privilege!

The Lord also has placed on our hearts a desire to leave people in the hospital with encouraging cards.
One day I had drawn a picture of a heart lifting a heavy weight with the verse, "My heart and my flesh may fail me, but the Lord is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Ps 73:26.  I also had a card with the verse "Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life."Ps 23:6.(MSG)  I prayed that the Lord would show me who to give them to.  Early on in the day I walked past a woman that was crying in the halls.  I handed her the card with the the Message version of Ps 23:6 feeling that the Lord was directing me to do so. 

The end of my work day came without me feeling prompted to give away the card with the heart drawing on it, despite the fact that I was around many heart patients that day.  I was leaving work, but stopped by Children's Hospital to see my 1 year old cousin who was there for minor surgery.  I walked past a child in a wheelchair decorated with many stuffed animals. I made a friendly comment about the stuffed animals and the grandmother proceeded to tell me that she had collected these over the last 5 months while waiting on a heart transplant! I quickly pulled my card out of my pocket and told her that she was the one that was supposed to have this card then.  The grandmother was very touched and opened up to me about the little girl's story. The little girl, named Grayson, has been in the hospital most of her life and has already had many surgeries.  She looked to be around 4 or 5 years of age. I prayed with her as we stood in the halls and the last thing she said to me was that I had "made her day".  God had allowed me to bless this grandmother and I was blessed right back!

Nena now goes to the hospital with a precious Godly woman, Susie, to pray at least once a week. I pray with patients as the Lord prompts me, as I am in the hospital 40 hours a week plus. When we are in the hospital, we are acutely aware of our need for help.  It is our prayer to show the patients and families where their help comes from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment